I have previously blogged about my feelings concerning the controversy surrounding abortion. Perhaps I was too ambivalent in my past statements. So let me state now, unequivocally, the following:
I am pro-choice.
I support the rights of women to have access to abortions. I believe that the decision to have an abortion is something that should be made solely between a woman and her physician. It is not the business of anyone else, especially the government.
Therefore I have been absolutely disgusted by the passage of a draconian, repressive law in Texas that bans abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, a law that criminalizes reproductive rights, that empowers private citizens to sue anyone who has assisted a woman in any capacity in obtaining an abortion, and that makes no exceptions for cases of rape or incest.
I am horrified and frightened by this assault on reproductive rights, and I am a man. I can only imagine how the women of this country must now feel.
Why do I support a woman’s right to abortion? This statement by Dave Barnhart from 2018 articulates my reasoning far better than I ever could do so myself…
Republicans who claim to be “pro-life” and who actively seek to outlaw abortions have also done the following:
- They have cut off women’s access to contraception & family planning services.
- They have prevented poor pregnant women from obtaining access to affordable prenatal care.
- They have repeatedly excused the actions of rapists, pedophiles & sexual predators.
- They have blocked efforts to make it easier for families to earn a living wage.
- They have attempted to present poverty as a moral failing, and demonized those who struggle to make ends meet.
- They have spent the last decade attempting to overturn the Affordable Care Act, even though its repeal would result in millions of Americans losing health insurance.
- They have opposed the use of mask mandates and vaccines which would prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- They have allowed corporations to pollute the air we breathe and the water we drink, resulting in widespread illness & environmental degradation.
- They have endlessly obstructed any & all efforts at reasonable gun control that would help to curtail the epidemic of mass shootings throughout this country.
Republicans are not “pro-life.” At best they are “pro-fetus,” and they certainly don’t give a damn about a child’s health & life once it is out of the womb.
Make no mistake, the law that Texas passed, and others like it, have NOTHING to do with protecting the lives of unborn children. This is all about controlling women, criminalizing their sexuality, returning them to a 19th Century status of second-class citizens.
And I absolutely guarantee you that all of those male Republican politicians who claim to be so concerned for the welfare of the unborn will make certain that their girlfriends and mistresses who they knock up will have quick & easy access to abortions.
We need to fight back against this terrible injustice. The Woman’s March is organizing protests in all 50 states to be held on October 2nd. I urge everyone who supports reproductive rights to participate, and to contribute to their cause. Thank you.
One thought on “I Am Pro-Choice”
Reblogged this on in walked quinn and commented:
When your friends and colleagues speak eloquently to your own thinking, pass it on! Well said, as usual, Ben!
LikeLiked by 3 people